Thursday, December 30, 2010

Armenian Christmas Song from my Childhood

Today is the first day of Christmas vacation.  The office is now closed until January 10th.  I woke up late this morning, and turned on the tv to discover a children's show with a Santa singing Christmas songs.  I didn't recognize the songs as any from my childhood.  But my favorite Armenian Christmas song from years ago was Gaghant Baba.  I am not sure if this is an Armenian song or a Diasporan song.  So far, I haven't met anyone in Yerevan who knows it.  So I suspect it's Diasporan.  Plus, there are words in the song like "hakoosd" (clothes), which are called "shor" in Armenia.  Also, there's the word "ellal" (to be), which in Armenia is "lini."   So I think this is a Disaporan song.  In any case, here it is... in Armenian, with English translation.  I know this has nothing to do with Yerevan, but let's just say I am in the Christmas mood, and this song always makes me laugh!

Gaghant Baba, Gaghant Baba (Santa Claus, Santa Claus)
Sareroon vrayen goo ka (he comes from on top of the ice)
Layn patsek tser trnereh (open your doors wide)
Gaghant Baban togh ners ka (so Santa Claus can come in)

Jermag morook, jermag mazer (white beard, white hair)
Garmeer hakoosd e haker (he's wearing a red outfit)
Dobrag me gernagin vra (a bag on his back)
Tserknal kavazan me ga (and a cane in his hand)

Nver goo da parineroon (he gives gifts to those who are good)
Aghvor dzedz me chareroun (and a good beating to those who are bad)**
Oosdee deghak chanatsek (so kids try)
Ellal pari khelokig (to be good and smart)

End

**yes, this is really the song we used to sing as kids.  In fact, they taught us this song in school.  It's not just about finding out whose naughty or nice.  If you are naughty, there are apparently serious consequences!  :)

Just out of curiosity, I ran a quick You Tube search and found an "official" sounding children's version of the song.  My internet stinks, so I was only able to hear a few seconds of it.  But it sounds like a classic to me!  Here's the link.  Enjoy! 

Merry Christmas everyone!

Vache's Gaghant Baba

1 comment: