Sunday, November 7, 2010

Feeling hot! hot! hot!

I leave for Armenia in 9 days!   I think Mother Nature loves me, because she sent a cold front to Florida to prepare me.  On the day I leave, Yerevan will have a high of 60F and a low of 37F.  I can handle that! 

I know my apartment is heated because I see pictures of heaters in every room.  Assuming the gas is actually hooked up, it should be nice and toasty in there!

Also, during my interview, when I asked them to tell me about the office, they told me multiple times that the office is heated.  It was almost like they were using the heat as a selling technique.  Most places in the US will tell you there's a microwave in the breakroom!  In fact, when I asked if the office was smoking or non-smoking, they told me again that it was heated!  So as I sat there wondering if I am going to be stuck in a smoky inferno for 3 months, the gentleman on the other end of the line told me there is a balcony because the office is non-smoking.  It turns out, people smoke on the balcoy.  Then he paused and clarified that it was non-smoking usually, and when people do smoke in the office, it is "only mostly cigars." 

Fabulous.  I am sure all the smokers in the office (which will likley be every one other than me) will step out onto the small balcony in -20C weather to get their fix and will limit indoor smoking to cigars. AD, one of the girls I work with, suggested I bring the patch with me. to ward off temptation.  But I think the smoky inferno will be so disgusting that it will not tempt me... or at least, I hope!  I am a non-smoker. I will return from Aremnia as a non-smoker.  Though perhaps, I should bring some kind of gas mask for the 2nd hand smoke.  Or maybe I'll just grab my coat and go work on the balcony since I am sure it will be a private spot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment